Saturday, September 1, 2012

GayRomLit Author - Vicktor Alexander

Vicktor Alexander—GayRomLit—Deflowered

1. From all the amazing events, what was the one thing that surprised you most about attending GRL?
Honestly I had no preconceived notions or expectations before I went last year. I was just excited to be going and was totally planning on stalking... I mean, MEETING... a few of my favorite authors: Stormy Glenn, Ethan Day, Heidi Cullinan, Carol Lynne, Stephani Hecht, Gabrielle Evans, TA Chase, William Neale and Amber Kell to name a few. I think the Gentlemen's Juke Joint was all kinds of craziness, excitement, sexiness and fun all rolled into one. I think that would be THE event that plays on repeat in my mind from last year.

2. I HATE flying, but since I’m going to be coming from Michigan I have to. YIKES! Where will you be traveling from and who will you be bringing with you? Do you like to travel?
Michigan? You're not too far from me!
I grew up a military brat so travelling and planes are ingrained in my DNA. When I enlisted in the Army I traveled from Florida to South Carolina and had a huge smile on my face the whole time. I've lived on the East coast, the West Coast, in the South... now I just need to aim for the Midwest. Wonder who I know out there...
I will be travelling from Buffalo, New York this year and will be coming with fellow author Cherie Noel. I was going to bring my harem with me, but plane tickets are so expensive.

3. What was your favorite part of GRL last year?
The friendships that were forged, the camaraderie between authors and readers, the fact that we were celebrating the entire GLBTQ community, regardless of the content of the books there, leaving with a family that I didn't have when I showed up. Those were all great things. But if we're talking events... it's a toss-up between The Gentlemen's Juke Joint, the Bar Crawl with Stormy Glenn, Gabrielle Evans and Joyee Flynn and listening to Ethan Day, ZA Maxfield and Damon Suede read from their books. That was enjoyable and fun. You haven't lived until you've listened to them reading the words that you enjoy reading.

4. If you learned one thing from the event, what would it be?
The whole weekend I learned to have fun with what you do because when you're doing a reading it shines through. If you're having fun with readers and your fellow authors, understanding that we're all family and on the same page, all of us supporting each other, then others can see that. It draws people to you. It draws readers who will always stick with you, authors who will support you, publishers who want to publish you and for those on the outside looking in, that REALNESS, that sense of community can change the world.
Now that I've inserted my little lesson. LOL. I would definitely say that to sum all that up, if you work together with those around you, in the same field as you, the people working toward the same goal as you, then you will achieve more than you ever thought possible.

5. What advice can you give those who will be attending GRL for the first time?
Be ready to have fun, get sleep before you come and set aside some time to sleep when you get back because while you're there, you're going to meet people that you want to stay up talking to until 2am.
And leave space in your luggage for swag and the books you're going to buy! I luckily had been visiting a bio family member for the week before GRL so I'd already had two suitcases and a backpack when I showed up, and still I left with two bags full of swag and books. So. Leave. Space. LOL.

6. Is there anything you didn’t do at GRL last year that you wish you would have? Anything you would have done differently?
I missed going to the Haunted Walks and from the stories I heard I wish I could have made them, other than that The Vic was everywhere it seemed. LOL. I wouldn't have done anything differently. I got to meet awesome people, got adopted by awesome people, got to have amazing conversations with authors like William Neale, Bryl R Tyne, DC Juris, MJ O'Shea, Piper Vaughn, Carol Lynne, Damon Suede, TA Chase, and Stephani Hecht. Last year was so amazing for me, I really wouldn't change a thing.

7. I heard the Gentleman’s party was a riot! Did you attend? Did those sexy boys make you blush?
It WAS a riot! I sure did attend, even though my driver got me lost and I walked into the wrong bar at first. -slaps forehead- but once I got there it was so much fun.
It would take a lot to make this former Army soldier, Southern gentleman from Polk County, Florida blush, so no. No one made me blush, I know for a fact that I made a few of those sexy boys blush though. Now that I'm thinking of it, I promised one of them I'd be back to get him this year. I should really do that...

8. What was interacting with the readers and other authors like?
It was eye-opening. For me as a reader, the realization that I am not Stormy Glenn's biggest fan was a little daunting-yes there are people who know her books better than I do-but listening to other readers talk about how different books got them through bad patches was heart warming. Being able to tell Carol Lynne that her book "Hawk's Landing", along with LA Witt's book "Static", changed and saved my life, was one of the greatest moments of my young life. Being able to sit around and discuss books, characters, form, structure, plots, villains and who has written the hottest sex scene to date with not just readers but with other authors-we never did decide on a winner-that's definitely something that makes GRL so special and memorable.

9. They say what happens at GRL stays at GRL, any naughty stories you would like to share?
-Clears throat and looks around cautiously-I heard there was some scandalous goings on with a few of the go-go boys. Something about somebody licking something... LOL. That's all I'm saying.

10. And because I’m just naughty that way, I’ve always wondered what men wear under their kilts. Did you personally find out what Damon Suede wears under his?
No I did not personally find out what Damon wears underneath his kilt, there's just something wrong about that to me. LOL. But I did hear someone say "if you wear underwear underneath that makes it a skirt..."
 
 
Blurb:
When Michael "Mickey" Monroe arrived on the planet Wilgrin after escaping his home of Rodeiro, his only plan had been to make just enough money to get enough fuel to fly to another planet. One where no one knew him, where he could fade into the background. Where he didn't have to worry about someone trying to beat him up at every turn.
However, working in the restaurant known as Durac, Mickey comes in contact with Carl Cavendish and realizes that no matter where he goes, someone is going to want to beat the shit out of him. Making a run for it, Mickey comes face to face with one of the most gorgeous carriages that he's ever seen, with a real live duke inside. Accepting the stranger's offer of help, Mickey soon finds himself naked and in the arms of Evander Cavendish, the gorgeous father of Carl Cavendish.
Before Mickey can blink he's married and dealing with a stepson who would rather see him dead than at the dining room table, a husband who only seems to want him for his body, and a secret that he doesn't know how to reveal to his new family, but one that he only has about nine months to share before it makes an appearance all on its own.

15 comments:

  1. I cant wait for GRL! Im a newbie so Im so excited and scared about going. Im still going to attack you though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. I look forward to being attacked then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not able to get to GRL this year so I hope you all have a great time.

    As a Scot thoough I can share an old saying with you: A true Scotsman wil never tell you what he wears under his kilt but he's always willing to show you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vic ! Nice warm up for GRL. - Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vic ! Nice warm up for GRL. - Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so looking forward to this! I'm taking my 18 year old son there as he is finally making his way out of his closet. When he told us he was gay, it never bothered us, all we told him is that we want him in a safe and healthy relastionship. My daughter and I have even been getting him to go out. He's extremely introverted, and I'm hoping that this will help him come out of his shell. That being at an event like this isn't a normal everyday thing, but that his being a gay man is something he should be proud about. I'm hoping that he will have so much fun and take that home with him and let him crawl out of his cave (otherwise known as his bedroom) and go out and be willing to meet new people. That is what I'm hoping to get from this event. Having a chance to meet all the authors who I enjoy will be an added bonus for me, so THANK YOU. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. GRL sounds like a lot of fun! I enjoyed reading all the Q&A's. It would be wonderful to be able to meet and converse with the authors of stories that have touched my heart, and sometimes my funny bone. LOL

    I recently read Steamy, and enjoyed it so much that I went looking for more!

    I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! Lisa264544

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went last year. I saw Vic but didn't intro myself. I tend to stay to myself but I had a blast and look soooo forward to going this year.

    Tj

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to go, but it's impossible for me due to distance issue. *sulks*

    But for everyone who is going, have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vic.I just started a new job so I can not go to GRL. It sounds like a lot of fun though so I need to try for next year :) I read your first 2 tate books last year, and then I am sorry to say I lost track of your books... well you were talking about your books on stormys yahoo and I have now read all of your tate books and I am reading Mickey's Duke today :) i will not lose you again your books are Awesome!!! Have lots of fun at GRL :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine what fun it must be to meet the writers of all my favorite m/m books. I hope anyone going this year has a blast! As soon as it is closer to the west coast I'm gonna go for sure. Mickey's Duke sounds good...keep it up! chellebee66 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, what a way to introduce newbies to the GRL! Yay!
    I am looking forward to going to GRL this year. I didn't have the "intestinal fortitude" last year to make myself go. But this year I'm going to do my own stalking, and can't wait to meet you in person!
    It's gonna be a blast! Counting down the days.........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your comments. I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who will be at GRL this year and sharing the event with those of you who won't be able to attend. I had such fun last year and this year's retreat looks to be twice as good as last year, although there is just the slightest heaviness hanging over it with the passing of William Neale, one of the original coordinators.

    The sexiness of last year, the laughter and fun is one of the biggest reasons that GRL is my "must attend" event of every year.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GRL does sound amazing, just a bit far for me right now (I'm the wrong side of the Atlantic).
    Hope everyone going has a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete