Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The "REAL" Jo Peterson

I have been asked the craziest questions lately, I've also been accused of being fake. The second is utterly laughable. I've met a few people in this new world of authors and publishers, Joel Skeleton, S.a. McAuley, Scotty Cade and I'm pretty sure they would tell you, that I'm exactly the same in real life as I am on line. What you see is what you get.

The view behind me from my office GO WINGS!
Recently someone made the comment, "Jo you sound like a beer guzzling, power tool wielding, crazy butch," Okay that wasn't the exact words but close. I guess in some respects I am butch. I normally wear Vans or Converse on my feet, sweats, t-shirts and hoodies are my clothing of choice. I collect hoodies and wear them all year around because... well....because I like them and I'm always cold. Kill two birds with one stone eh?  I drink beer straight from the bottle, (please don't ask me if I want a glass, I have no manners, right Joel?). I like mixed drinks, but they don't like me. I end up dancing on bars with newly inked Tiggers on my body, singing at the top of my lungs, "The wonderful thing about Tiggers" ~shudders~ I also love hockey, I have a "man cave" in my basement with the Red Wing memorabilia I've been collecting since I was 10.

For Christmas and Birthdays, I get routers, table saws, tools, ect. I love remodeling and working with my hands and I'm good at it. It's how I relax. Yes I can completely build a room from the ground up. Electrical, plumbing, carpentry, no problem :)

 I am also completely nuts about homemade cookies and other desserts. I'm sure it stems from the fact that, I can't cook to save my life and yes, before you ask, I have actually caught my kitchen on fire 3 times. I try to avoid that room like the plague. Scary shit happens in there, but I love to eat. The microwave is my friend. I hate vegetables, if it's green it's gross in my book. Now just because I love cookies, hate vegetables, wear hoodies and Converse, and have a collection of tools that are drool worthy, doesn't mean I can't be  "feminine" when I want to be. Most of the time I just don't waste my time. I don't like to shop, I can't wear high heels without falling down and make up... blah only if I have too.

Ha see I can dress like a girl!!!
My BFF Scotty Cade is now my "fashion" guru.  He says shoes have to match your bag, and heels are a must. Ack! I actually took his advice before my trip to Washington DC. Took all new shoes and "matching" bags and I ended up with 9 blisters on my feet. Each time I changed my shoes they rubbed a different place. I still am holding a grudge against Scotty for that one. He simply didn't tell me all the rules and laughed when I didn't take a good pair of walking shoes. Pfft.   Any way. I now consult him on my outfits. Here is the one that got his approval this past Christmas.  (No I didn't know it was a designer hand bag it matched the fricken coat!!)

Notice you can not see my shoes, I am still working on the heel thingy and I believe I had a solid black pair of Vans on with this outfit. Yes they do go with jeans and a fur coat dammit!!
I like piercings and tattoos on me and on men!! YUM! I have Tigger on my hip (Jagermeister night) and this on my ummm... yeah. I learned no matter how good a friend someone is, never, never agree when he says, you pick out my tattoo and I'll pick out yours. He gets a really cool hand sketched drawing (yes done by yours truly) of Stevie Y holding the Stanley cup on his calf and you get this on your ass  ~sigh~ live and learn.
I used to have very long hair. Pony tails were my friend. I don't like spending a lot of time in front of the mirror so a hair tie, a brush and 5 minutes and I was ready for work.  Over the last couple of years, every time I went to the hairdresser I would leave with it shorter and shorter. I have to admit. I have really cool hair now :) Takes a couple extra minutes to spike it all up but I like it so it's worth it. Haven't decided what color I'm going to go with on Friday when I get my hair did again. Shiny Penny Copper, Purple, or Red Red.... The jury is still out.

Although my books may suggest otherwise, I am not a very emotional person. I am also a hermit, crowds freak me out after awhile, I can party and cut up with the best of them, but I really like my solitude. I have a thirst for knowledge. I don't watch movies, rarely watch TV unless it's the History Channel or ID. I love world history, and have been reading and studying serial killers for years. True crime fascinates me. I'm not so much into the crimes themselves but the mind of the serial killer. Robert Ressler and Roy Hazelwood are my heroes.  Ummmm let's see....  My birth certificate says ______Jo Peterson (Hate my first name) and anything else you want to know about me (except my personal love life & Family) just ask :) I'm a pretty open book! 





And now for those who asked.."How will I recognize you at GRL?" 
Look for the crazy hair, standing next to these sexy mo fo's!





~Hugs~
Jo


31 comments:

  1. I never thought you were fake, and you've become a good online friend to me. I look forward to meeting you in person at GRL and yea baby, forget the heels and frilly stuff. I don't do makeup, heels or crowds either. *grins*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pfft Scotty is going with me. I have to match :( I could always tell him I forgot my heels hehehee XOXO

      Delete
  2. OMG..you are "real" aren't you???? Oh sweet baby, I know you have GOT to do copper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a figment of your imagination one with really kick ass hair. hehehe Copper?? UGH you sound just like Scotty!! xx

      Delete
  3. You don't owe me anything - no explanation, no answers - nothing. Except fantastic books - which you deliver. Every. Single. Time.

    Dig the hair - go for the purple next time.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin!! I try my best to write the best book I can ~hugs~

      I have asked my hair dresser twice now for purple and have not gotten it UGH she and I are going to end up in a throw down. I think the purple would we totally awesome :)

      Delete
  4. You're consistent Jo. This is what you told me when we first met about a year ago. I find you to be out front about your work, your play, your writing, and all your needs and wants, and you have been very kind to me. I think it is one thing that you're so tough and can do so much shit, but I think it is even more strange now days to find someone who will bother with a stranger to be kind. You have always been kind with me. The troubles folks are having on FB lately seem to be passing small problems in general, as I see it, all of us a bit clumsy with all the amazing modalities to communicate electronically it is only natural we'll have family fights, but we can all make up, too. Recently got an iPad 3rd Generation, and the ways of integrating FB and Flickr, Tumblr, and Twitter, plus more all in a magazine framework app, well, we'll all be so interconnected soon that we will find our boundaries expanding and our consciousnesses elevating...of this I am sure. Only those of us who are ill, addicted in a troubling manner, or the really destructive will insist on ongoing battles. You're not a fake! I know that. I like seeing your photos, however. I will take a photo and put it on my site soon, maybe today. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy, That's because you were one of my very first on-line friends and we connected, hence you knew the real me back when no one had ever heard of me on-line. It really wasn't about coming clean or tying to prove anything, just so many are going to meet me in real life at GRL I figured they might as well get the whole story of Jo :) XOXOX

      Delete
  5. You are a lovely person Jo. Have fun a GRL. Stick to the vans in my opinion they look great with everything but a skirt. Heels look great but aren't worth the trouble. I have never thought you were fake. Glad to see Conner's Courage is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally stoked over GRL! I bought all kinds of fancy heels but whether I actually wear them or not remains to be seen :)

      Conner is rocking just like him :)

      Delete
  6. Girl whoever said you are a fake is losing it. Since I send you baked goods each month or so I know you are one awesome person *grins* and you write some wickedly great stories too!

    Now girlie you need to come my way for a visit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so trying to find the time to come out toward your neck of the woods. Crazy schedule. I keep promising Scotty I will head out his way in MA too but ughhhh I can never find the time :(

      You are the greatest cookie goddess EVER and I sooooooooooo look forward to your care packages. I sent you one out today too

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Stand up and be proud of who you are! People look at me and think I'm prissy, a real girly girl. They should see me when I have drywall dust in my hair and paint on my clothes. LOL

    The hair is perfect! Have you tried streaks of bright yellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOooohhhh Yellow and Pink would be so Epic. My hairdresser won't even let me do Purple, I think I may have to go a little butch on her ~giggle~

      Delete
    2. LMAO! Go for it. You can pull it off. :)

      Delete
  8. I've never thought you were fake but I enjoyed these glimpses into your life. I'm with you and Carah - no makeup, heels, or crowds for me either :) I can't wait to see you at GRL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvia, We are sooooooo going to get along great. I'll be the one sitting in the corner avoiding the crowds and people watching :)

      I told you I was just Jo :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Ok, Ms. Real, how do you eat so many cookies and keep up that figure???? I look at a cookie and gain 5 pounds :)

    Although I didn't need the photos to believe you exist, it is fun to get some insight into one of my favorite authors. Love the hair cut.

    I think Gunny & Mac would enjoy hanging with you :) - but you're only allowed to do so if you take me with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I knew at a young age that i loved to eat so in my twenties I started body building so I could eat all the pasta I wanted. Although i no longer do weight lifting I still run every day.

      Mac and Gunny would so not be safe with me around hehehehe and I will be more than happy to take you and share all that yummy goodness with you. Hmmm now I just have to track those bad boys down. ~nod nod~

      BTW thanks for the compliments. I'll send the compliment on to my hair dresser. I let her do what ever she wants. She likes coming up with cool ideas :)

      Delete
  10. Love it!! And I can't wait to meet you at GRL...'cause you know we gotta go across the country to make it the hour between us! LOL...

    Hmm...we really should fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!!! I head down to Clarkston to hang with SA McAuley a couple of times a month. We found the cutest damn waiter at the Union who we can't go to long without seeing hehehe

      Delete
  11. You look cooler than I would have imagined...you're a good person...love the hair
    Matt Darringer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. I am so totally awesomely cool well at least the hair is :)

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed reading about the "real" Jo. You actually remind me of my cousin. She practically built her own house and she delivers appliances for Lowes. She knows more about power tools than most guys, yet she is the mother of three girly girls.

    You and I would probably have lots of fun hanging out. :D YES to beer out of the bottle, even though I do like an occasional pina colada or a shot of whatever. ;) I totally approve of your fashion sense, too. If you were closer to Texas, my son's friends could fix you up with the purple hair color. That and blue and hot pink seem to be a favorite of theirs right now. Your hair dresser might not approve...lol.

    I love to have fun, but like you, I enjoy my alone time, too. Some in my family might say I'm a hermit, but that's when I get to enjoy reading books. I look forward to your serial killer book, too.

    Stay cool and have lots of fun at GRL. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we sound so much a like. Who knows one day I may make it to Texas for more than a lay over (Dallas for an hour on the way to GRL) and get my purple hair :) My buddy Sam wants me to go rainbow but that might be pushing it a bit. lol

      Nothing wrong with being a hermit. Good company and great characters :)

      ~Hugs~
      Jo

      Delete
  13. Gee, I wonder if the same person that called you 'fake' is the same one that called me that last year? Anyway, nice to meet you! I love the hair, and I'm a tomgirl too, so hang tight sister! Make-up is overrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, there seems to be too many not so nice peeps on the internet. Thanks for the compliment. Tom boys rule :)

      Delete