Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I'm Home!!!!

Okay so it was only a mini vacation but one that definitely took it's toll on me and forced me to draw up all my reserves of patience.

I was raised Nazarene, or rather, I was sent to a Nazarene church every Sunday morning with my siblings. Never once did my mother accompany us. The bus picked us up at 9am and mom had the day too herself until after one. I never really questioned my faith, my church, or the reasons my mom sent us. It was just part of my life that had always been. Then, while I was in high school, I was asked to write a report on King Henry VIII. The research I did opened my eyes to religion and I admit I became obsessed with it for quite some time after.


The bottom line is and in a simplistic nutshell, King Henry VIII went against his religion and that of his country, just so he could boink his mistress. Talk about power!  It is a prime example of absolute power, corrupting absolutely. Any way, like I said, I became obsessed with religion, and over the next several years attended as many churches as I could and read everything I could get my hands on about the origins of their religion. Fascinating stuff. I still have a bit of an obsession about religion to this day.
I'm very tolerant of all religions. I have the belief that as long as they are not hurting anyone, who am I to question their beliefs? What I don't like or won't tolerate is being viewed like this for my beliefs...

I'll tolerate you saying prayers for my soul, hell I'm sure I need all the prayers I can get, but it drives me absolutely ape shit when you start preaching at me and expect me to fall at your feet and ask for forgiveness for my beliefs.  Hell yeah I sin, don't we all at some point in our lives?  But, at the end of the day, I'm a pretty good person. I don't lie, cheat, steal, never committed adultery or murder. I figure if there is a heaven, I probably have about as good a shot of getting past the pearly gates as most people who attend church.
So over the weekend, while attending a family wedding, I did my best to behave, I bit my tongue more than once but couldn't help but point out to one particularly vocal family member, all the holy water, threats of damnation, and prayers in the world will never make me change my mind. Everyone has the the right to love who ever they choose and she has the right to hate those who love differently.What really saddens me is that in this day in age, people still have such closed minds and following their religions blindly without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment