Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Lesson Learned


It's no big secret that some people create fake persona's on line. Hello, we've been hearing about it since the beginning of the great world wide web. AOL chat rooms, ICU2, Myspace, Facebook. The names of the most popular hangouts change but the people that frequent them don't!   Some are there for entertainment, to connect with others who share the same interests. Others hoping to find love, still others just needing someone to listen. It's a great way to reach out, stay in touch and meet new people.

 However, There are those who want nothing more than to hurt, deceive, antagonize and prey upon others. For these individuals, the web is a playground. They sit beyond reach, typing their lies, drawing you in, telling you what you want to hear and making you believe you are special, that you matter and in the end it's nothing more than a game to them.


The purpose of this blog is NOT to warn people about "fake" identities or hateful people. Hell, open your newspaper or turn on your TV, it's big news. Or sign on to any social media and witness it for yourself. It happens constantly. It's a shitty fact of life and it's not going to change. Ever! You can't change people, but you can make sure they don't change you!

 I have never claimed to be perfect. Perfection does not exists and I'm obviously here. I make mistakes, some small, some large and sometimes on a daily basis. But it's not the mistakes that define me, but rather how I handle them and what I learn from them.I firmly believe that mistakes are the stepping stones to learning. And what I have learned over that past several months is that I can only control ME!
So what have I learned in all the craziness over the last several months you ask? Well....If I don't want the world to know about it, I won't type it, privately or publicly. I've learned that it is important to conduct myself responsibly, with discretion and smarts while online. That NO ONE has control over me. They can't make me say or do anything. Sure they can try, they can push and antagonize but they can't MAKE me. Only I have that power.  If I don't like what someone has to say, there is this really cool feature called "unfriend" and another button on my keyboard that come in quite handy called,  "delete."

I remember when I was growing up I used to get so pissed off at my mom. My older sister would call me a name and I'd call her one back. I ended up standing on the opposite side of the room as my sister with my nose stuck against the corner. But, but... she started it. Why do I get the same punishment?? Shouldn't she be in more trouble than me??? To me it was unfair!! Had she not called me a twit or a brat or whatever I wouldn't have had to call her a stupid fathead.

Now as an adult, I get it!  Mom wasn't saying that I couldn't defend myself, but if I stooped to her level and slung back ugly hateful words, than I was no better. I finally learned to be a bit more diplomatic in my "defense" and on more than one occasion I have to say, I actually enjoyed the glares mys sister threw my way as she stood in the corner, but not as much as the cookie I munched on from my spot on the couch :)

Be good to each other!
~Hugs~
Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment