Saturday, June 9, 2012

Question about Sequels


I'm writing the sequel to Battle Buddy and have a couple questions. Battle Buddy was written for a submission call, a short story and more like a diary of Shane Tucker's time in boot camp and ranger school. I didn't really get into who Owen was, beyond what little Tuck knew about him. So my first question is, would it bother you as a reader to read about Owen's time in boot camp and ranger school from his perspective knowing where it goes? Kind of like his diary. The feelings would obviously be completely different and I am not focusing on the same events but new ones. Do you like when the author recaps or do you skim over those parts?

Second question after Owen's story (a novella) I have a full length novel plotted out called Sua Sponte
but haven't come up with a title for my current WIP. What do you think of "Tuck & Cover" for Owen's story?  (Thanks Dan ~waves~)

8 comments:

  1. Love the title "Tuck & Cover"! I appreciate recaps, especially if it's been a while between stories (whether read or written).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I thought Tucck & Cover was kind of witty (wish I would have thought of it) lol

      Delete
  2. I like the title ;-). And I'd LOVE to read about Owen. Because I'm nosy that way!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading about Owen to and I love that you're nosy that way ~wink~

      Delete
  3. I would definitely love to read about Owen and the cover is wonderful. It grabbed my attention as soon as I read it.
    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvette. The first being a short story I don't think we got to know Owen like we should have so I am rectifying that problem :)

      Delete
  4. What a clever title. I think having Owen's version makes sense. Then have a third book with them really together. Recaps are a nice refresher for a reader who has read the first book or a series and a way for someone new to catch up and maybe want to see where everything started. I don't like starting up a book not knowing that there was something that set up that book and have to look for the earlier work and start from there. But, your books always make sense because of the bit of recap through out. Waiting patiently for Connor and not too much for Jesse knowing that will be the end of a great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you. Jess's story was so amazing to write, but also the hardest of the series to write. Not only does Jess deserve a great story but dammit it was really kind of sad knowing it was the end of the journey, although..... No no I'm not listening to Scooty right now who says "You know. So-in-so needs his story told now." Nope not listening to him :)

      Delete