Thursday, March 17, 2011

Getting to know Andrew Grey


Andrew, thank you so much for talking with us. Your featured book is Crunch Time the fourth book in the Gym series. Where did the idea for this emotionally charged tale come from?  I joined gym years ago and see a number of hunky guys every day.  Sometimes one of them will capture my attention and they’ll inspire a story.  This particular story came to be when I was having dinner with a friend and some of his clients who happen to be professional football players. 

What do you like best about George and why will readers relate to him?  I like George because he’s a regular guy who works hard and is good at what he does.  He’s also a bit of an underdog in that he’s not particularly good looking.  But he captures the attention of the incredibly handsome Darren, by being his caring self.

What can you tell us about his interest in Darren White and why will readers love them together?  Darren’s football career is over, ended by injury and he believes his life is truly over.  Football is the one thing he believes he can do.  With George’s help, Darren learns that he’s more than just a handsome face with a hot body.  He learns that he had a brain and begins to use it.

You’ve written many books. Does a new release still give you the same thrill as the first one? How do you celebrate a new release?  No, I no longer celebrate releases per se.  I work very hard at my writing in addition to working full time.  For my early releases, I used to go out to dinner.  Now, my partner cooks a nice meal and we spend a few quiet hours together.  The next day, I go back to work.

What is the most important thing you have learned throughout your writing career? Write what makes you happy.  I don’t write what I think will sell or what I hope readers want.  I write what I like and what interests me and I hope that interest and energy comes through in my writing.

What else do you have in the works for lucky readers?  I have a number of items ready for release.  A Troubled Range, the follow up to A Shared Range is being released March 25.  Seven Days, a story that chronicles the seven pivotal days in my hero’s life releases in April.  A Serving of Love, the follow up to A Taste of Love is being released in May, and Positive Resistance, the fifth Gym story will release in June.  I’ve also drafted a story set in Europe called Dutch Treat, and I’ve finished the sixth gym story.  Who knows where my imagination will take me next?

How do you balance a writer career with the rest of your life?  I set daily writing goals and when I meet them, I finish for the day.  I also make sure I spend time with my partner and family.  Basically, I concentrate on what’s really important.  It’s the only way I can write, work, and stay sane.

If you weren't a writer, you'd be a...?  My day job is information technology, so I’d be a repressed computer geek with no creative outlet whatsoever.  Oh, and very unhappy.

What's your favorite guilty pleasure?  Chocolate. I absolutely adore fine chocolate.  Dominic is forbidden from bringing any into the house however, because I will eat it until it’s gone.  I have no will power when it comes to fine European chocolate,

What other releases have you had recently and what can you tell us about them? I released Accompanied by a Waltz on Valentine’s Day and the fifth farm story Love Means…No Fear in late December. 
Accompanied by a Waltz is the story of a man who loses his partner of 17 years very suddenly and the slow process he goes through to rebuild his life.  This includes a pushy step daughter who convinces him to spend two months in Vienna, where he meets Fabian, finds love, and starts to live again.
Love Means… No Fear is the fifth farm story.  This is the love story of Eli’s younger Amish brother Jonah and Raine, Geoff’s friend who comes to the farm after being the victim of a gay bashing.  Both of these stories are quite powerful and you’ll most likely need a tissue or two.

What is your biggest hope for 2011?  This year my parents’ celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.  I hope to be able to take them on a cruise this winter to celebrate.  They deserve something special and wonderful for staying together that long without killing one another. LOL
Where can readers find you on the web? 
I can be found at:  www.andrewgreybooks.com
My email address is andrewgrey@comcast.net
I can also be found on Facebook and I’m @andrewgreybooks on Twitter.

Andrew Grey grew up in western Michigan with a father who loved to tell stories and a mother who loved to read them. Since then he has lived throughout the country and traveled throughout the world. He has a master’s degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and works in information systems for a large corporation. Andrew's hobbies include collecting antiques, gardening, and leaving his dirty dishes anywhere but in the sink (particularly when writing). He considers himself blessed with an accepting family, fantastic friends, and the world’s most supportive and loving partner. Andrew currently lives in beautiful historic Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment